Sunday, June 26, 2005

The Yarn Crawl According to Maikopunk

If we could have fit it in, we might have gone to a petting zoo.
The four knitters of K+B met bright and early at our usual Monday meeting spot of Metrotown Bread Garden, only this time the drink of choice was coffee. We lingered a bit over breakfast and then decided to head out to our first stop, Burnaby Knitworks, located just kitty corner to the whole garganutan Metrotown/Metrotropolis/Station Square complex.
I had been to Burnaby Knitworks once before on an emergency Sunday yarn run, and was pleasantly surprised this time by their wide selection of yarns (especially the fine yarns for tiny needles I am becoming notorious for), good prices, and pattern books. Although we made the rounds to pet the wool, making a lot of "Ooh, feel this one!" noises, I had the best time looking at the pattern books.
I made the mistake of not having any patterns in mind before coming on the yarn crawl, so I spent a lot of time looking through the books thinking about what I might make. I would like to make a sweater for the husband for Christmas - something simple and classic, like a crewneck - so I was especially looking for patterns for the dudes. BKW had lots of European magazines and books, such as the English edition of German magazine Rebecca and pattern books from UK, Scandinavia and the Continent. All the stuff featuring men either was part of some happy-family-in-matching-sweaters configuration (gag) or a model looking like he was thinking of a way to break up with the chick who inflicted this horror on him.
Knitting model neuroses aside, I shall remember BKW for their wonderful selection of pattern books, and a bright, comfy area in which to read them! After about an hour of poking around the store, we left for our next stop, Wool and Wicker all the way down in Steveston. Maktaaq and I had to walk around a bit to find the tiny store two blocks up from the wharf (mmm fish and chips). The small space is divided in two, with one side devoted to pattern books and knitting lessons and the other featuring bins and bins of wool organized by colour. Its a pleasant jumble of knitty things, although most of their wool was designer-priced. I perused more pattern books which were scattered in bins, shelves and tables throughout the space and petted the $$$ yarns for the imaginary sweater. Maktaaq found the ultimate material for her legwarmers, while Leanne picked up a skein of gorgeous variegated wool, all handpainted. I was 0/2. Picky, picky.
We headed back into the centre of Richmond, and met up again at Daiso. Daiso is a Japanese store with all kinds of housewares, craft supplies, beauty products, dishes and stationery, all of which is $2 a piece. It was crazy busy. I didn't buy yarn, but went nutty in the stationery section. Super-extra cute school supplies y'know. We pulled ourselves away for lunch and show and tell in the food fair. Maktaaq went for the anime graphic notepads and Janet got the cutest tins in all sizes with Bam-Bam and big-eyed deer characters on them. And magic mushrooms are legal in Japan if that explains anything.
Janet departed, and we tried gamely to hit both the craft store in neighbouring Yaohan Centre and Birkeland Brothers on Main Street. Since none of us spends much time in Richmond, we headed over to craft store. I wish I would have kept up my Japanese because their pattern books have the cutest stuff in them! The male models, despite having to wear matching clothes with their "girlfriends", look quite content. I was rather disappointed with the yarn all encased in plastic bags, but perhaps its just a cultural difference in display. They did have a lot of good needles - Leanne picked up some extra-small circulars for her sock project.
At 5 pm, we knew we weren't going to make it to Birkeland Brothers on Main Street. But I know there's going to be a Yarn Crawl 2, so no big deal. Now that I'm inspired to pick up my needles and finish my old projects (dammit!), I'll bring some patterns along for the ride.